Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Much Ado About Nothing


As I mentioned in my last post, I’ve got less than a month left until school starts.  Consequently, I still have a whole heap of things to do in order to prepare.  Between the school supplies I still have to buy, the vaccinations I still have to go through, and not knowing any of my classmates, I feel like I’m starting first grade rather than a professional program!  I’ve accomplished some stuff, but there is still plenty left to be done in T-20 days.

Here’s a haphazard list of things I’ve done thus far to prepare for school:
  • Moved to Oregon
  • Opened an account with a new bank
  • Decided on a health care plan
  • Bought a planner
  • Learned how to use Microsoft OneNote
  • Organized my binders and backpack
  • Signed up for classes
  • Ordered my dissection kit (So enthusiastic about this one!  I can’t wait to start dissecting!)

And heeere are things I still have to do:
  • Cancel old bank account
  • Actually sign up for a health care plan
  • Buy more school supplies
  • Provide my immunization records to the school
  • Get a rabies vaccine (aak!)
  • Class of 2016 BBQ
  • Go to vet school orientation
  • White Coat Ceremony!

Orientation and the White Coat Ceremony are big, mandatory events thrown by the CVM the Wednesday – Friday before school starts.  I don’t remember all of the details of orientation, but I know on Thursday we’ll be doing a ropes course, and on Friday there will be a tour of the vet school for family and friends.  The White Coat Ceremony, which takes place that same Friday evening, is a pretty prestigious ceremony that many medical schools (not just vet schools) host for their students.  I’m not entirely sure what all it entails, but I know there will be dinner and at some point we’ll be given our own white coats with our names embroidered on them.  Neat!  The best part of it all is that my mom and Dr. Shaw will be coming to visit that Thursday – Monday, so they’ll get to come to the ceremony and spend time with me before I start school.  I can’t wait to see them!

I’m really excited about my blog!  I’ve thought of so many topics to write about, and that’s just to tide me over until school actually starts.  My goal is to update weekly, and we’ll see how that goes.  Right now I’m actually trying to pace myself so that I don’t update too often!  Anyway, thank you for reading again!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like fun though! I wish I could see your ceremony! I bet you'll have an awesome time!!!

    ReplyDelete