Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Orientation starts tomorrow and this is how I’m feeling:


Aak!  It’s finally starting!  I just want to run and hide under my bed!  I’ve figured out during the course of my life that I don’t deal well with big changes.  At least, I dread them until they’ve finally happened and then I’m okay with it.  I remember going to class the first day of my freshman year of college, and just wanting to go back to my high school and try my best to blend in for another few years instead.  Can you imagine someone actually wanting to go BACK to high school??  Well, that’s how I feel now.  I’d like to continue on for a few extra years in undergrad, and somehow convince all of my friends to do the same so nothing changes and everything stays awesome.  Luckily my fears about going into college turned out to be completely unnecessary, and I’m sure that vet school will be the same.  I’m hoping to meet some fantastic people and maybe even make friends with a few of them, too.  I’m hoping the workload isn’t going to be as taxing as I’m dreading it will be, and if it is (and it probably will be), I’m hoping I’m up for the task.  I’ve busted my ass over the years to get where I am today, so if I have to work even harder for a few more years I’m sure it can be done. 

I’m going to write this so I can come back and look at it when I’m in the thick of school, probably on the verge of a mental breakdown:  why I’m going to vet school and what I’m hoping to accomplish.  I want to make a difference.  I’ve volunteered for years with vets, zoos, and all sorts of species.  I’ve traveled across the world to pick up elephant poop (though I did that at the zoo, too).  I’ve seen first-hand the challenges that come with raising animals, both at home and in a zoo exhibit.   And I want to help.  At the zoo, when I interned with the Large Mammal keepers, I was privileged (though some may not see it that way) to participate many times in collecting semen from the zoo’s bull Asian elephant Sneezy: one of the most eligible bachelor elephants in North America.  Through that I was able to learn about the difficulties in breeding elephants in captivity: the high cost of transporting and even maintaining elephants, the lack of a matriarchal herd of elephants in many zoos, fertility problems, high infant mortality, the still relatively low success rate of artificial insemination in Asian elephants, and a low gene pool that coincides with declining elephant numbers in North American zoos.  There are many big hurdles that face Asian elephants, and I would love to specialize in theriogenology (animal reproduction) to help solve those problems while, at the same time, continuing to make zoos more elephant and other animal-friendly.  Of course I don’t want to limit my expertise to elephants, but wouldn’t it be cool to be an expert in elephant reproduction?  I think that sounds so awesome! 

Speaking of all of this, I want to get in contact with the Oregon Zoo in Portland soon.  They have a very well-established elephant breeding program, and I would love to be involved with that and possibly shadow their vet.  Don’t get me wrong, going into zoo medicine is a VERY competitive field.  But if I don’t end up doing any of this, I know whatever I end up doing will still involve me making a positive impact on the future of animals and conservation in some way or another!

Anyway, wish me luck for tomorrow!  But even more so, wish me luck for next Monday, because that’s when all of the REAL work begins!  

No comments:

Post a Comment